As you probably already know, it’s no longer quite correct to say that direct mail solutions are making a comeback.
These days, it’s actually more accurate to say that the comeback is complete, not that it’s still climbing its way back into relevance. Although the best direct mail methods have changed since its original heyday, companies all over the country are using it to amazing effect.
And by amazing effect, we mean the exact results you want from any marketing campaign — increased visibility, brand recognition, and a noticeable increase in sales. But just like with other marketing techniques, you need an overarching plan to execute a direct mail campaign successfully. Here is a primer for coming up with the exact direct mail strategy you need to maximize your response rate.
When it Comes to Direct Mail Solutions, Audience is Everything
Every aspect of your marketing campaign has to be designed and delivered to an audience that’s likely to respond to it. This is a marketing axiom that applies just as much to your direct mail campaign as it does to the digital platforms you use. Here are a few tips to help you communicate effectively to your target audience and maximize their responses.
- Identify your market and narrow it as much as possible without being TOO restrictive.
- Use the knowledge you have about your target audience to personalize the campaign. Consumers respond best to campaigns that they sense are designed with their specific needs in mind.
- Focus the content of your direct mail campaign on the benefits your target audience will receive by responding promptly.
- Integrate your direct mail campaign with the rest of your marketing plan. This includes sending out direct mail ads at times when your audience is likely to respond.
- Constantly track the success of your direct mail campaign. Decide on a handful of revealing metrics to weigh the costs you incur from direct mail against the profits it generates. A corollary to this is to change what clearly isn’t getting results.
Designing and Presenting The Direct Mail You Deliver
Obviously, design and presentation are important aspects of your direct mail solutions. For our purposes, these concepts include the layout, the content, and the message of the mailings your deliver your target audience. If you’re attentive to these three aspects while brainstorming your direct mail campaign, you’ll go a long way toward ensuring its success.
If you can step inside the shoes of the people you’re targeting, then you may uncover insights that will help guide your design efforts.
From our article, Designing for Impact With Direct Mail Large Postcards
The Words Matter … in a Big Way
Content and message are also extremely important. And while there is, of course, a great deal of overlap between content and message, it’s still important to make certain distinctions. For our purposes, content is simply how the mail is written, while you can think of the message as the gist of what the entire package conveys.
The content of your letter works with the layout and the other aspects of presentation to create the message. The nature of the content should respond to the needs and desires of your target audience. It should always be clear, concise, and engaging, but other nuances will vary according to audience taste.
Taken together, the design, presentation, and content of your direct mailings should create a message that is persuasive, appealing, and memorable. In fact, these three concepts should stand as the ultimate goals of all your direct mail solutions.
When you’ve been printing and fulfilling direct mail as long as we have at Las Vegas Color Graphics, you know what works. Get in touch with us today and let our knowledge guide your direct mail campaign.