Have you identified your market but aren’t sure how to reach them? Direct mail sales and marketing works for just about any type of business. Before you start, there are certain tips you need to know to help you succeed.
20 Tips for Direct Mail Sales and Marketing
1. If you want to be successful with your direct mail sales and marketing efforts then customer service has to be key. When you provide excellent customer service that is proactive, you will gain and then retain customer loyalty.
2. Printing postcards can be inexpensive, but these small mailers can help you make an additional contact with the recipient, and that means a higher response rate for your business.
3. Make your offer available for a limited time only. This will provide motivation for the consumer to act when you want them to act, not months down the road. It will help recipients avoid procrastination because they could miss out on your deal.
4. To be successful at direct mail sales and marketing you must know your target population, and know what they are looking for and need. If you can anticipate your targeted consumers’ needs then you are already half way there.
5. Find out why consumers purchased your products, and why they picked you over the competition. This information can be invaluable for future reference and use. Send surveys, make follow up phone calls, and use other methods to get this knowledge.
6. One of the biggest mistakes with direct mail sales and marketing is the one and done philosophy, where you send one piece of mail and then never follow up. This can greatly lower your response rate.
For instance: first send a postcard; then a 3-fold mailer; and then a letter with a brochure.
7. Before you start printing postcards and other materials make sure that you have a message that is strong and appealing. Without this feature, your materials may fall flat and fail to impress.
8. Learn about the “Cluster Principle” and other psychology tips that can help you convert recipients into customers. This principle shows that people who are similar tend to be located in the same geographical area.
9. If you are directing your direct mail sales and marketing efforts towards other businesses then the cluster principle also applies.
10. Today just printing postcards may not be enough, consumers want to be wowed and impressed. Try creating unique materials that are different from everyone else so the recipient wants to check out your mail first.
Give it an unusual look, shape, size, or contents in order to make it different and original.
11. Make your message benefits based, and tell people or companies what you and your products or services can do for them. This helps place the focus on the positive aspects of your offerings and shows consumers what they will get.
12. Take away risk with your direct mail sales and marketing materials. A free trial or a coupon for a small sample will eliminate any risk for the consumer and entice them to try out your business.
13. Statistics show that 80% of the sales that you make will be to around 20% of your customer base. Know who the 20% is and place much of your marketing efforts toward this group for better results.
14. In addition to printing postcards and other mail materials you can combine these efforts with online activities and social media. This can create a 1-2 punch that is a lot more effective.
15. Before you begin any direct mail sales and marketing campaign do some research on the types of consumers or businesses that you want to reach. You will be in a better position to understand the target so you can reach them more effectively.
16. Start your marketing plan by answering the most important questions about your intended recipients. These are who, what, when, where, how, and why.
17. Giving your recipient a way to respond is part of any good direct mail sales and marketing campaign. Include a postage paid postcard or stamped envelope so that the recipient can respond without any additional costs.
With our postage-paid options, you only pay for the responses that come your way.
Source: USPS Reply Mail
18. In order to be successful, whether you are printing postcards or other material types, you need to be continuously measuring, analyzing, and adjusting.
19. Make the offer in your direct mail sales and marketing materials something of value to the consumer or company.
20. You only have seconds to grab the attention of the recipient so make this time count. If you are not experienced in graphic design or content creation then pay a professional to handle this for you.
All of these tips can help your direct mail sales and marketing campaigns and we are here to answer any questions you might have. Call us today at 702.617.9000 for all of your direct mail needs.